Man working on a piece of equipment, with electrical probesThe Australian Government’s Visa Finder can help you find the right visa.

Some employer nominated visa options are explained below.

Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa

The Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa is a temporary visa for between one day and four years. This visa enables employers to sponsor overseas skilled workers when they are unable to fill skilled positions from within the local labour market.

Employers must be approved by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) to sponsor overseas workers under this scheme. For detailed information go to the sponsors tab of the Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa.

To be eligible for nomination under this visa:

  • The tasks of the position must equate with those for one of the occupations listed on the DIBP combined list of eligible skilled occupations.
  • The base salary for the position must be at the market rate for the nominated occupation and the market rate must be no less than the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT).
  • Applicants must show that they have English language proficiency that is equivalent to:
    • an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test score of at least five in each of the four test components of speaking, reading, writing and listening, or
    • a score of at least 'B' in each of the four components of an Occupational English Test (OET).
    Exemptions exist depending on the level of salary paid, country of passport held and the language in which an applicant’s education was undertaken.
  • Overseas nominees from some countries and for some trades must have a formal skills assessment.
  • All nominees for the occupations of Project and Program Administration ANZSCO 511112 and Specialist Managers (nec) ANZCO 139999 must have formal skills assessments.

For detailed information go to the Temporary Work (Skilled) (Subclass 457) visa.

Northern Territory Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA)

The Northern Territory Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA) is an umbrella agreement that allows Northern Territory employers to sponsor overseas workers using the Temporary Work (Skilled) Subclass 457 visa. 

Concessions that may be available to Northern Territory employers have been agreed with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) by the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation. These include access to some occupations that are not available under the standard Subclass 457 visa arrangements and concessions for English and salary levels.

For detailed information go to the Northern Territory Designated Area Migration Agreement.

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) visa

The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) enables employers to sponsor highly skilled workers to fill skilled vacancies in their businesses. Employers can employ skilled workers from overseas, or temporary residents who are living and working in Australia.

The Employer Nomination Scheme visa gives an overseas skilled worker permanent residence in Australia.

For detailed information go to detailed information go to the Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) visa.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) (Subclass 187) visa

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa is for skilled workers from outside Australia or skilled temporary residents who currently live and work in Australia.

The RSMS enables employers in the Northern Territory, who cannot fill vacancies from within the local labour market, to employ skilled overseas workers.

RSMS is part of the permanent Employer Sponsored visa program.

For detailed information go to the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) visa.

Training and Research (Subclass 402) visa

The Training and Research visa is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to undertake occupational training, conduct or observe research as a visiting academic or participate in a professional development program.

The Training and Research visa has three streams:

  • Occupational Trainee stream - is for people who require structured training to either enhance their skills in their current occupation, area of tertiary study or field of expertise.
  • Research stream - enables professional academics to visit Australia on a temporary basis, to observe or participate in an Australian research project.
  • Professional Development stream - is for professionals, managers or government officials to undertake a professional development training program in Australia.

For detailed information go to the Training and Research (Subclass 402) visa.

Labour Agreements

A Labour Agreement is a formal arrangement negotiated between an employer and the Australian Government. Labour Agreements allow overseas worker to be sponsored into occupations not covered by the mainstream Temporary Work (Skilled) visa and will only be considered where a genuine occupation shortage exists and there are no suitably qualified or experienced Australians readily available.

For detailed information go to the Labour Agreements.

Enterprise Migration Agreements

Enterprise Migration Agreements are custom-designed, project-wide arrangements for large scale resource projects designed to help ensure the peak workforce needs of large scale projects are met, easing capacity constraints and ensuring economic and employment benefits are realised.

For further information go to the Enterprise Migration Agreements.

Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (Subclass 403) for the Seasonal Worker Program

The Seasonal Worker Program is one of the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's special program visa categories. It allows employers, who are approved as special program sponsors, to sponsor people from eligible countries to work in low skilled jobs for between 14 weeks and six months annually.

Timor Leste, Kiribati, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu and Vanuatu have Memoranda of Understanding agreements in place with the Australian Government for the Seasonal Worker Program.

For further information go to the Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (Subclass 403).