It is mandatory for Northern Territory employers who are seeking the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation (DTBI) endorsement to access overseas workers under the Northern Territory’s Designated Area Migration Agreement (DAMA) to demonstrate that they have been unsuccessful in recruiting suitably qualified and skilled Australian citizens or permanent residents to fill positions.
Local recruitment options
You must provide evidence of your local recruitment efforts over the last six months. There are many ways the Northern Territory employer can do this. For example:
- Contact a recruitment agency - go to the directory of recruitment agencies in the Northern Territory.
- Place an advertisement- there is a range of media through which you can advertise a vacancy:
- professional and trade publications
- industry associations newsletters.
- Advertise on a recruitment website such as:
- CareerOne - if you advertise a vacancy in the NT News or the Centralian Advocate your vacancy will also be published on this site
- Australian JobSearch
- Job Services Australia works with businesses to assess the types of workers required and attempts to match them with trained and work ready job seekers.
- Employ an apprentice - Consider employing an apprentice. Where employers don’t have enough work for an ongoing or full-time apprenticeship position, group training organisations can organise to share an apprentice with another business, go to the Australian Apprenticeships website.
Using the Territory Worker Database to find a local worker
- Searching the Territory Worker Database alone will not be sufficient to 'demonstrate that a business has been unsuccessful in attracting / recruiting suitably qualified and skilled Australian citizens or permanent residents to fill a position'.
- Candidates in the database enter and upload their information, no checks are undertaken by the department in verifying whether the documents or claims presented are genuine. An employer needs to undertake a thorough recruitment process before offering employment. The Northern Territory Government does not play a role in your recruitment process through the Territory Worker Database.
How to access the Territory Worker Database
This online tool is managed by the DTBI and is designed to link Northern Territory employers with a pool of local, interstate and overseas candidates who have expressed an interest in working in the Territory. Any Northern Territory employer can register with DTBI to access and browse the Territory Worker Database to find workers to match a job vacancy.
- Visit www.australiasnorthernterritory.com.au
- Click on ‘Territory Worker Database’
- Click on ‘Employers & Recruitment Agents’
- Register your interest
- A Northern Territory employer will be able to access the database and search the candidate pool after being approved, usually within three days.