This website has been developed to assist people to understand processes involved with visiting or moving to the Northern Territory. The current opportunities are showcased, to inform people from overseas and other states of Australia about Australia’s Northern Territory.
This website is a Northern Territory Government website managed by the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation.
The role of the Department of Trade, Business and Innovation
The department's primary responsibilities are to deliver business and industry development services, defence support, and employment and training.
The department plays a key strategic role in stimulating and supporting the development of a competitive, responsible and prosperous business and employment environment in the Northern Territory.
The department works with business to develop and broaden the Northern Territory economic base. This includes the provision of strategic programs and activities to support business and industry development.
It is responsible for providing strategic labour market policy advice and forecasting to maximise employment opportunities for Territorians and meet industry needs.
Key functional responsibilities are to:
- develop procurement policy, provide secretariat services to the Procurement Review Board and provide procurement advice to agencies
- identify, assess and support business and industry development opportunities
- improve business competitiveness and productivity
- stimulate business innovation, research and knowledge development
- provide strategic labour market research and advice
- develop, promote and implement employment strategies, including coordination of Indigenous employment, skilled migration program, workforce growth and training across the NT
- attract and facilitate major projects and investment
- regulate workplace health and safety, dangerous goods, electrical safety, and rehabilitation and workers' compensation through NT WorkSafe
- regulate and license a range of industries.